Is it possible to volunteer abroad responsibly? Good intentions are not enough. But is that true? How should we act on our good intentions so that we have a meaningful impact? Kathrin sat down with Claire Bennett to ask these and many more questions. Listen to the Podcast Change and Perspective below to get all the insights.
Podcast Change & Perspective
Volunteer abroad responsibly – Help more by learning first
Claire Bennett is an advocate for responsible volunteering or how she calls it: learning service. In this conversation she takes us back right at the beginning of her journey of international development and volunteering abroad in Nepal. She talks openly about the mistakes she made along the way and how she learned from them. We discuss the good intentions of people who would like to volunteer abroad and how they can transform them into an actual impact.
- What kind of questions do we need to ask ourselves and how can we find ethical volunteering options?
- Are there accreditations for volunteer projects you can trust?
- Do we need to travel in order to grow as a human being?
- What will travel and our world in general look like after Corona?
Claire gives important tips and shares her knowledge how we can travel with more empathy and do good. We discuss the history of volunteering and why it is not always as easy as it seems to solve problems abroad. This conversation is full of hope and joy despite the heavy topic of volunteering. Join us for a deep learning experience.
Links and more Information
- Learning Service Website with more information
- Claire’s Book – Learning Service: The essential guide to volunteering abroad*
- Book recommendation The Peacock Spring*
Our projects on give & grow
Did you like the episode?
We would love to read your feedback on iTunes. Rate the podcast so more people can find it and spread the message.